America depends on services for economic growth and jobs.
Services generate more than 75 percent of employment in the United States and contribute to more than 70 percent of national economic output. All sectors of the economy depend on services to be successful, including manufacturing and agriculture. Services employment demonstrates the robust nature of the services sector in the United States and its vital role in the economy.
The latest report by the Coalition of Services Industries reveals that services jobs continue to dominate the American economy.
• More than three-quarters of all working Americans are employed by the services sector, as compared to agriculture (2 percent), construction (6 percent), government (5 percent), and manufacturing (10 percent).
• Services employ 70 percent or more of the labor force in 49 out of 50 states. All states employ 60 percent of more of the labor force in services.
• Over three-quarters of congressional districts in the United States employ at least 70 percent of individuals in services.
• Education, healthcare, and social services are the country’s top employers (20 percent in 48 out of 50 states). Professional, scientific, financial services and arts/entertainment are some of the next largest employers in the country.
• Nevada (83 percent), Florida (82 percent), and New York (82 percent) have the highest percentages of services employment.
• In Indiana and Wisconsin, the states with the highest percentages of manufacturing employment (19 percent and 18 percent respectively), services jobs are more than triple.
• In Wyoming and North Dakota, the states with the highest percentages of agricultural employment (12 percent and 9 percent, respectively), services jobs are more than 5 times greater.
The report was compiled using data from the U.S. Census Bureau. The findings are based on 2012 figures, the latest year for which data is available. The congressional-level analysis corresponds to the districts for that year (113th Congress).
The Coalition of Services Industries is the leading association devoted exclusively to promoting the international objectives of the U.S. services sector. We produce tangible, commercially meaningful results by achieving international rules, market access commitments, and regulatory systems that ensure fair competition for all services industries. Our members include companies, industry associations, and professional associations that provide services domestically and globally, including accounting and finance, computer-related services, energy, express delivery and logistics, insurance, media and entertainment, retail and wholesale, technology, and telecommunications, and other services sectors.
© Copyright 2014. The Coalition of Service Industries. All rights reserved.
*Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Census Bureau